[R] Any concept of 'by reference' or 'address of' in R?

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Sat Sep 19 02:11:24 CEST 2009

I wouldn't assume R is making a copy; it depends on what you're doing
with the dataframe.

I'd suggest using Rprof to find out where the cpu time is being
spent. If you can adapt your problem to use all numbers or all
characters then you can store the data in a matrix instead of a data
frame, and potentially speed things up. (That advice is based on my
own experience from a fairly large number of years ago, so it's
possible that developments in R since then could negate the advice.)

-Don