[R] Barplot error with space=0, log="x"

Shawn Polson polson at dbi.udel.edu
Sun Sep 20 05:39:19 CEST 2009

Hello,

I would like to do a barplot that has a log-scaled x axis, but no space
between the bars.  I have attempted the following, but it produces an error
that seems to indicate that the log scaling is dependent on the space being
> 0:

x<-c(1:100)
barplot(x,log="x",space=0)

Error message:
In plot.window(xlim, ylim, log = log, ...) :
  nonfinite axis limits [GScale(-inf,2,1, .); log=1]

Trying something like this does make a plot with effectively no space
between bars, but the first bar becomes unacceptably wide:

barplot(x,log="x",space=0.001)

I get equivalent results with barplot and barplot2.

Does anyone know a work-around for this issue?

Thank you,
Shawn Polson

Delaware Biotechnology Institute
University of Delaware