[R] Working around 256 byte variable names? + trouble opening large file

A Singh Aditi.Singh at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Sep 21 22:04:33 CEST 2009

Dear R users,

I am trying to read in a file with 105 columns, and when trying to attach
it, get an error as follows:

> vc1<-read.table("P:\\R\\Everything-I.txt", header=T, sep=" ", dec=".",
na.strings=NA, strip.white=T)
> attach(vc1)
Error in attach(vc1) : variable names are limited to 256 bytes

Is there a way to get around this, and make R accept the given variable
names? Or will I have to shorten them?

Also, when I try to read in a much larger file with 430 columns, I get the
error:

Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings,
:
  line 397 did not have 431 elements

Is it that R isn't dealing too well with Excel-converted-to-text files? Is
it a function of file size?

I have double-checked the 430 column file and all data seems to be in place.

Thanks for your help!

Aditi

A Singh
Aditi.Singh at bristol.ac.uk