[R] Working around 256 byte variable names? + trouble opening large file

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Sep 21 22:17:17 CEST 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 4:04 PM, A Singh wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I am trying to read in a file with 105 columns, and when trying to
> attach it, get an error as follows:
>
>> vc1<-read.table("P:\\R\\Everything-I.txt", header=T, sep=" ",
>> dec=".",
> na.strings=NA, strip.white=T)
>> attach(vc1)
> Error in attach(vc1) : variable names are limited to 256 bytes
>
> Is there a way to get around this, and make R accept the given
> variable names? Or will I have to shorten them?

It's my guess that you have an unmatched quote in your header
somewhere. The error is reported when the length of a SINGLE variable
name is over the 256 character limit, and not when the total number of
characters in all of the variable names is over 256. Shirley, you
cannot have a variable name that want to be that long.

> Also, when I try to read in a much larger file with 430 columns, I
> get the error:
>
> Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines,
> na.strings, :
> line 397 did not have 431 elements
>
> Is it that R isn't dealing too well with Excel-converted-to-text
> files? Is it a function of file size?

R is not the problem. It is capable of "filling".

> I have double-checked the 430 column file and all data seems to be
> in place.

Again, probably a misplaced quote character.

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories