[R] cox memory

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Sep 22 19:00:34 CEST 2009

I did not test to see if the design of the data.frame you offered was
valid input to your model, since you did not provide a means to test
it within R. I only meant to say that creating a very long vector with
identical entries should not be necessary if the newdata argument were
constructed properly. What _is_  needed is for newdata to have all of
the variables on the RHS of the survfit formula.

Comparing your model, to the newdata argument :

out1<-coxph( Surv(tstart,tstop, death1) ~ chemo1+chemo1:log(tstop
+1)+horm1+horm1:log(tstop+1)+age1+grade1+grade1:log(tstop
+1)+positive1+positive1:log(tstop+1)+size1+size1:log(tstop+1), test1)

... I do not for instance see "tstop" defined in newdata. If the
various survival prediction functions do not get a properly
constructed newdata argument, they look to the original data values,
which I believe is what is generating your error. I would think that
tstop values would needed. It might be useful if you would, at the
very least, provide the output from str(test1).

Let me also admit that I am unfamiliar with the strategy and
interpretative implications of including a function of tstop on the
RHS of a formula that involves tstop as a time variable on the LHS as
well.

--
David