[R] Class correlation with hierarchical clusters

Jonsson, Pall Pall.Jonsson at astrazeneca.com
Wed Sep 23 18:25:21 CEST 2009

Hello R gurus.

I have been performing hierarchical clustering of gene expression data.  I use the heatmap() function to perform the clustering and overlay classifications by using the ColSideColors parameter.

In many cases I have various metadata associated with my samples, which leaves me with many different sets of sample classes which can be shown with ColSideColors.   So my question is: Is there an R package available that allows one to calculate which of the pre-defined sample classifications correlates best with the hierarchical clusters?  Having a tool that finds the most relevant classification would save me the effort of visualise them all on a heatmap and work out by eye whether there is a correlation or not.  I don't doubt there is a function that does this, but I haven't been able to find it - probably due to me not using the correct terminology in my searches.

Many thanks for your help,
Pall