[R] Non-parametric test for location with two unpaired sets of data measured on ordinal scale.

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Sep 24 22:30:30 CEST 2009

What do you mean by location?  I can think of examples where 2 distributions have the same median but different means, or the same means but different medians.

Are you willing to assume that the distributions are exactly the same under the null hypothesis? (not just the same 'center/location')

I would probably do a permutation test on the difference between the means or medians (which ever you think is more meaningful), this assumes the exact same distribution under the null.

You can also do a Mann-Whitney/Wilcoxin test (but I don't like explaining, or sometimes even thinking about, what it is actually testing), you could do a bootstrap confidence interval on the difference between means/medians (does not assume distributions are the same, just have same mean/median), or you could just replace all values by their ranks and do a t-test (essentially transforms the data to a uniform distribution, the CLT for the uniform kicks in around n=5, but I would simulate just to check).

This is not the nice simple answer that you were probably looking for, but hopefully it gives you some things to think about that will help,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org