[R] Design Package - Penalized Logistic Reg. - Query

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Sep 26 04:07:08 CEST 2009

On Sep 25, 2009, at 8:33 PM, Lars Bishop wrote:

> Dear R experts,
>
> The lrm function in the Design package can perform penalized (Ridge)
> logistic regression. It is my understanding that the ridge solutions
> are not
> equivalent under scaling of the inputs, so one normally standardizes
> the
> inputs. Do you know if input standardization is done internally in
> lrm or I
> would have to do it prior to applying this function.
>
> Also, as I'm new in R (coming from SAS) I don't know how well R will
> handle
> relatively large data sets (e.g. 1/2 million observations on 40
> variables).

I don't have the answer to your first question but I routinely work
with a dataset that is several times that large using the Design (and
now) the rms packages. (You do need to have sufficient physical
memory, but it is not R that is the limiting factor.)

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories