[R] implementation of matrix logarithm (inverse of matrix exponential)

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Sep 27 03:58:01 CEST 2009

      Sylvester's formula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester%27s_formula)
applies to a square matrix A = S L solve(S), where L = a diagonal matrix and S =
matrix of eigenvectors.  Let "f" be an analytic function [for which f(A) is well
defined].  Then f(A) = S f(L) solve(S).

      We can code this as follows:

sylvester <- function(x, f){
  n <- nrow(x)
  eig <- eigen(x)
  vi <- solve(eig$vectors)
  with(eig, (vectors * rep(f(values), each=n)) %*% vi)
}

logm <- function(x)sylvester(x, log)

Example:

A <- matrix(1:4, 2)
eA <- expm(A)
logm(eA)

	  With Chuck Berry's example, we get the following:

M <- matrix( c(0,1,0,0), 2 )
sylvester(M, log)
Error in solve.default(eig$vectors) :
  system is computationally singular: reciprocal condition number = 1.00208e-292

	  This is a perfectly sensible answer in this case.  We get the same result from "sylvester(M, exp)", though "expm(M)" works fine.

	  A better algorithm for this could be obtains by studying the code for "expm" in the Matrix package and the
references in the associated help page.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer