[R] Adding variables

Henrique Dallazuanna wwwhsd at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 16:20:33 CEST 2009

The station column has non numeric values, so you need convert to
numeric before:

with(attenu, as.numeric(as.character(station)) + mag)

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 8:47 AM, tzygmund mcfarlane
<tzygmund at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Both my emails contained reproducible code (the first one wasn't
> completely reproducible - it required one to know that "attenu" is a
> base R dataset).
>
> Anyway, thanks for your help.
>
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 8:11 PM, jim holtman <jholtman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I assumed (since you did not provide reproducible code) that 'mag' was
>> a matrix.  If 'station' is a matrix, then
>>
>> mag + rowSums(station)
>>
>> will work.  If that does not work, then you need to tell us what your
>> data objects are.
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM, tzygmund mcfarlane
>> <tzygmund at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Jim,
>>>
>>> I might be missing something but your command gives the error:
>>> Error in rowSums(mag) : 'x' must be an array of at least two dimensions
>>>
>>> #############################
>>> data(attenu)
>>> attach(attenu)
>>> rowSums(mag) + rowSums(station)
>>> attenu$new<-rowSums(cbind(mag, station))
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> --
>> Jim Holtman
>> Cincinnati, OH
>> +1 513 646 9390
>>
>> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?

Henrique Dallazuanna
Curitiba-Paraná-Brasil
25° 25' 40" S 49° 16' 22" O