[R] A programming question - is what I want to do possible in R?

ewaters ewaters at nchecr.unsw.edu.au
Mon Sep 28 04:45:25 CEST 2009

I have a large data frame, 77 rows, with 10 columns. Each row represents a
unique individual with 10 characteristics, some of which are categorical
factors and some continuous numeric variables. Each of the ten variables is
important (the 10 columns obviously correspond to the individuals of
interest). Importantly, this data set represents a population (not sample)
of people with a certain medical condition.

What I want to do is to select 2000 random samples of between 2 and 24
individuals, preserving all the information.

I can easily write loops that will sample from 1:77 2 - 24 times, what I
really want to know is there any way to easily link the output of loops like
that to the data set so I don't have to trawl through and do it manually
2000 times?

Any advice on whether I should even attempt that in R, or try some sort of
hash table in C or somewhere, would be appreciated.