[R] implementation of matrix logarithm (inverse of matrix exponential)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 28 13:01:33 CEST 2009

    DB> There is a logm function in the expm package in the expm project on
    DB> R-forge.  See http://expm.R-forge.R-project.org/

    DB> Martin was the person who added that function so I will defer to his
    DB> explanations of what it does.  I know he has been traveling and it may
    DB> be a day or two before he can get to this thread.

Indeed, thank you, Doug.

Yes, I'd strongly recommend using the expm  package's  logm().

Computing Matrix Exponentials and Logs (and more) reliably is actually a
quite a science.
The recent addition of  expm::logm()  actually happened based on
a master thesis done here at ETH, and that itself was based
on  *THE* reference on these topics,

     Higham, N.~J. (2008). _Functions of Matrices: Theory and
     Computation_; Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics,
     Philadelphia, PA, USA.

and so is are part of latest methods for the matrix exponential,
expm().

One reason that I haven't released  'expm' to CRAN yet,
has been that it hasn't been entirely clear to me what the
default 'method' should be.
The (currently only one) method, uses in Matrix::expm() is
no longer state of the art (and yes, I had plans to also
"update" that).

An interesting side-question is actually how to deal with such
issues, of active research rendering  "the state of the art" to
a moving target.
In Matlab, I see they just provide "the current" method, so are
not bug-back-compatible with previous versions of itself.
In R, I'd at least want to provide an optional 'method' argument
and keep former methods available.
The question still remain if it's okay to change the default
method, as the state of the art advances.
For the matrix functions expm(), logm(), etc., I'd say "yes",
the default should be allowed to change.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich