[R] xyplot help - colors and break in plot

Felix Andrews felix at nfrac.org
Tue Sep 29 01:50:34 CEST 2009

2009/9/29 Tim Clark <mudiver1200 at yahoo.com>:
> Dear List,
>
> I am new to lattice plots, and am having problems with getting my plot to do what I want.  Specifically:
>
> 1. I would like the legend to have the same symbols as the plot.  I tried simpleKey but can't seem to get it to work with autoKey.  Right now my plot has dots (pch=19) and my legend shows circles.

Rather than the pch = 19 argument, use par.settings = simpleTheme(pch
= 19, cex = .4)

> 2.  I have nine groups but xyplot seems to only be using seven colors, so two groups have the same color.  How do I get a range of nine colors?

Yes, in the default theme, there are seven colours: see
trellis.par.get("superpose.symbol")

You can change the set of colours yourself by modifying that list (via
trellis.par.set).

An easier option is to use one of the predefined ColorBrewer palettes,
with custom.theme() from the latticeExtra package, or just
simpleTheme(). See ?brewer.pal (RColorBrewer package)
You will see there are a few qualitative color palettes with 9 or more
colours: e.g.
brewer.pal(9, "Set1")
brewer.pal(12, "Set3")

> 3.  I have one group who's y range is much greater than all the others.  I would like to split the plot somehow so that the bottom part shows ylim=c(0,200) and the top shows ylim=c(450,550).  Is this possible?

Yes... in the absence of a reproducible example, maybe something like

 xyplot(Area.km2 ~ DataPoint | (Area.km2 > 200), m.dp.area,
         groups = Manta, scales = list(y = "free"))

or

AreaRange <- shingle(Area.km2, rbind(c(0,200),c(450,550)))
xyplot(Area.km2 ~ DataPoint | AreaRange, m.dp.area,
        groups = Manta, scales = list(y = "free"))

> What I have so far is:
>
>  library(lattice)
>  xyplot(m.dp.area$Area.km2 ~ m.dp.area$DataPoint, m.dp.area, groups = m.dp.area$Manta,
>        main = "Cummulative area of 100% MCP",
>        xlab = "Data Point",
>        ylab = "MCP Area",
>        ylim = c(0,150),
>        scales = list(tck = c(1, 0)), #Removes tics on top and r-axis
>        pch=19,cex=.4,
>        auto.key = list(title = "Mantas", x = .05, y=.95, corner = c(0,1),border = TRUE)) #Legend
>

> Thanks,
>
> Tim
>

> Tim Clark
> Department of Zoology
> University of Hawaii

Felix Andrews / 安福立
Postdoctoral Fellow
Integrated Catchment Assessment and Management (iCAM) Centre
Fenner School of Environment and Society [Bldg 48a]
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia
M: +61 410 400 963
T: + 61 2 6125 1670