[R] Macro variable substitution

David Young dyoung at telefonica.net
Tue Sep 29 17:58:29 CEST 2009

Hello All,

I'm a new R user and have a question about what in SAS would be called
macro variable substitution.  Below is some R code that doesn't work,
but I think it will illustrate what I'd like to do.

readfunc<-function(x) {
  x <<- read.table(paste(x,".csv",sep=""), header=TRUE,sep=",")
}
readfunc(TEF)

What I'd like to do is have the letters "TEF" become the name of the new
R data and also be used in conjunction with ".csv" to read the file
"TEF.csv".

So working R code looks like this:

TEF <- read.table(TEF.csv, header=TRUE,sep=",")

but I'd like to type the changing letter sequence just once.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Best regards,

David Young