[R] R/PL : cannot build PL/R

Bunny, lautloscrew.com bunny at lautloscrew.com
Wed Sep 30 16:03:02 CEST 2009

Dear all,

i am trying to get PL / R running on Mac OS X. PostgreSQL is already
running and connects just smoothly to R via DBI / RPostgreSQL .
Despite finding a couple of posts of people with the same problem
(i.e. error message) i could not get it done for me.
I use Mac OS 10.5.7 and PostgreSQL 8.3.7 as well as R 2.9.2

I put the untared plr to my /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/

If i just add the path mentioned above to the Makefile and run
USE_PGXS=1 make :

i get the following error message:

make: pg_config: Command not found
make: *** No targets.  Stop.

If simply run make inside the plr directory i get the following:

Makefile:41: ../../src/Makefile.global: No such file or directory
Makefile:42: /contrib/contrib-global.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/contrib/contrib-global.mk'.  Stop.

If I change R_HOME in the makefile to Users/myname (which is supposed
to be my R home and initial working directory) I get the following
error message:

*** Cannot build PL/R because libR is not a shared library.
*** You might have to rebuild your R installation.  Refer to
*** the documentation for details.

This is a message i found already on several posts. Some answers
suggest to recompile R with the shared lib option enabled. Anyway,
some posts suggests that it is possible without recompiling.
Simon Urbanek for example said on a markmail.org post, it was possible
without recompiling. I´d really like to know how...

Thx in advance for any suggestions !

Best regards

matt