[R] preformatted and '#' in manual pages

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Sep 30 22:51:13 CEST 2009

On 9/29/2009 7:31 AM, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
> Uwe, thanks, but this does not help, I still get:
>
> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
> This typically indicates Rd problems.
> LaTeX errors found:
> ! You can't use `macro parameter character #' in vertical mode.
> <argument> ...ike the following: \begin {alltt} ##
>                                                    vertex1name vertex2name [...
> l.9051 listed one per line on subsequent lines.}
>
> * checking PDF version of manual without index ... ERROR
>
> In fact, I added the '\' after the package check failed, but it made
> no visible difference.
>
> Best,
> Gabor

I think this is an inconsistency between LaTeX versions.  On my system,
the version with no \ on the # works fine, and the documentation for
alltt (the LaTeX environment used for \preformatted) says it should.

However, R 2.9.2 did add an escape on the #, and that also works fine on
my system, so I'm going to get R 2.10.0 to add the backslash again.
Hopefully this will fix things on your system, leave them okay on mine,
and not break someone else's.

Duncan Murdoch