[R] Using GIS data in R

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Thu Apr 1 20:55:27 CEST 2010

I'm currently doing a lot of simple GIS work in R, including points
in polygon queries. My .Rprofile file has

    require(maptools)
    require(rgdal)

With that as a starting point, I find that the data structures play
well together.

Define a coordinate reference system object with
  crs.ll <-  CRS('+proj=longlat +ellps=GRS80 +datum=NAD83 +no_defs')

Load a shapefile with

   my.shp <- readOGR('directoryname','filename',  p4s=CRSargs(crs.ll) )

This will give you an object of class SpatialPolygonsDataFrame.
readOGR() is in the rgdal package.

readShapeSpatial or readShapePoly from the maptools package should
work as well, and I used to use them, but lately I've been using
readOGR().

Then the overlay() function in the sp package will do your #2. But I
do think you'll need your points to be one of the SpatialPoints
classes.

Omitting the p4s argument from readOGR() might work, I'm not sure.
Or, I think you might be able to just supply the text string, i.e.,
     p4s='+proj=longlat +ellps=GRS80 +datum=NAD83 +no_defs'
but I have found it handy to have several projections predefined, as in
      crs.ll <-  CRS('+proj=longlat +ellps=GRS80 +datum=NAD83 +no_defs')
      crs.utm <- CRS('+init=epsg:32610')
for use in the spTransform() function.

Also, your question would go better on R-sig-geo mailing list.

A final note, some plotting functions need to have the sp package
earlier in the search() path than maptools.

-Don