[R] t.test data in one column

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 1 21:04:33 CEST 2010

Marlin -
    Consider the following:

> df = data.frame(x=rep(1:4,2),y=rep(c('M','F'),c(2,2)))
> t.test(x~y,data=df)

 	Welch Two Sample t-test

data:  x by y
t = 4.899, df = 6, p-value = 0.002714
alternative hypothesis: true difference in means is not equal to 0
95 percent confidence interval:
  1.001052 2.998948
sample estimates:
mean in group F mean in group M
             3.5             1.5

If you're uncomfortable with the formula notation, try

with(df,t.test(x[y=='M'],x[y=='F']))

 					- Phil Spector
 					 Statistical Computing Facility
 					 Department of Statistics