[R] R 2.6 Support Question

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Apr 5 17:04:25 CEST 2010

Raadt, Timothy W. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question on the support of the R 2.6 software.  We are in the
> process of planning for a  hardware refresh and our new machines will be
> running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8.   My question is if the R 2.6
> software would be supported on a system running Windows 7 and Internet
> Explorer 8?  Also, are you aware of any customers having issues with
> Windows 7 and/or  Internet Explorer 8?
>
> Thank you for your time and any information you can provide.
>
> Tim Raadt
> Systems Developer
> Federated Insurance
> 121 East Park Square
> Owatonna, MN 55060
> 507-444-7163

Well, "support" given on this mailing list is a volunteer effort.  It is
important to understand that members of this list are in no way obligated to
answer any questions- they do it in their free time as a service to the R
community.  A key part of this process is for volunteers to be able to
quickly reproduce problems with the version of R they have installed.
Generally, the most knowledgeable people on this list tend to run the newest
version of R available-- which is currently 2.10.1.

R 2.6 is nearly three years old, so it is unlikely that a significant number
of people on this list still use it.  Therefore, the answer to any questions
posed concerning 2.6 is likely to be "upgrade to the newest version and see
if the problem goes away".

If you want "real" technical support, then that will require purchasing from
a company that provides commercially supported version of R.  Two that I
know of are R+ from XL Solutions and REvolution R from REvolution Computing.

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University