[R] SAS and R on multiple operating systems

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 5 23:01:52 CEST 2010

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010, Roger DeAngelis(xlr82sas) wrote:

> SAS and R run on
>
> Windows(all flavors)
> UNIX(all flavors)
> Apple OSs

I would expect that for more obscure Unices it would be difficult to get SAS, but basically, yes.

> Does R run on natively (no emulation)?
> We have quite a few users on these systems
>
> VAX-VMS
> Z-OS (mainframe)
> MVS
> VM/CMS(IBM)

I don't know that anyone has tried. The basic requirements for R are ANSI C89 and some of the more common parts of C99, Fortran 77, the standard IEEE floating point formats, and quite a lot of POSIX.

For IBM's z/OS at least, I would have thought Linux virtualization would be the most straightforward approach to using R.

      -thomas