[R] SAS and R on multiple operating systems

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Apr 6 20:08:35 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Roger DeAngelis(xlr82sas)
<rdeangel at amgen.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  First a quick note about FDA and Style Guides.
>
>  Frank is correct the FDA does not require strict formatting. I once worked
> for small startup and they sent EXCEL sheets to the FDA. However big pharma
> usually has very strict formatting requirements. I once produced a table
> where one of the border lines was a little to fat (not 1/2 point). Below is
> a abreviated sanitized TOC for a possible style guide. The official guide is
> over 50 pages. The controlled document guide is over 100 pages.
>
> There is even more detail in the text of this document with sample tables,
> listings and graphs.
>
> I have some code on my site that makes, procedure output, graphs, tables and
> listings follow one SAS template.
>
> . LAYOUT
> x.S Components of Document
> x.2 Page Layout
> x.2.S Portrait Page
> x.2.2 Turned Page

[ large chunks deleted ]

> Figure Z-2 Bottom Align Buttons on Tables and Borders Toolbar
> Figure Q-3  Figure With Source Code

 Surely all this is an argument for a semantic markup system for your
reports, rather than doing it wysiwyg in Word? My table cells don't
have enough space in them? Oh dear, now I need to select all my table
cells and stretch them a bit. Sure, the Right Thing to do is to make
sure everything in Word is controlled by a style, and that the style
correctly gets its settings from parent styles and so on. But heck, do
it with a markup language and you're pretty much forced to get it
right first time.

 Also, has anyone ever seen truly beautiful mathematics done in Word,
short of importing hi-res images created in LaTeX?

 Getting a bit off the R topic now, but R and LaTeX are free things of
beauty used together. And you can't use SAS for science. If it's not
open, it's not science. Big Pharma does not do science, it does
business.

Barry