[R] SAS and R on multiple operating systems

Roger DeAngelis(xlr82sas) rdeangel at amgen.com
Wed Apr 7 09:12:38 CEST 2010

Hi,

  SASweave is an interesting concept and is further along than I thought.
Thanks Donald. I have checked out many sources on the net. Also thanks for
offering to help me get started.

  I have a masters in stat, not a Phd and I spend most of my time
programming so I am a little over my had with the statements below.

  About models, the buzz seems to be around SAS GLIMMIX instead of MIXED due
to non-normal and corrrelated data? It seems like the progression continues
from GLM - MIXED - GLIMMIX. I was just getting comfortable with MIXED. GAM
looks like it has been improved in SAS 9.2, but I have not used that
procedure.

As a side note SAS is spending massive amounts of resources on Enterprise
Guide as a anchor to SAS-SAP?
SAS is giving it away because it has the potential to dominate all corporate
functions much like SAP. There are process flow tools, stored processes,
operating system transparency, metadata servers, load balancing and
inteligent job queing. It also has an interface a secretary or a CEO might
be comfortable with. Many SAS procedures are available at the click of the
mouse. Programmers tend to hate it because it seems to be more suitable to
the Apple Ipad then a true programming environment. It generates terrible
code, and programmers are sometimes relegated to cleaning up the CEOs code
for production.

Thanks Everyone
This thred was an educationa opportunity for me