[R] SSH Through R Script

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Fri Apr 9 17:26:01 CEST 2010

When I do what you're describing, I get prompted for my password:

    >  system('ssh -l  usernm rmthost')
    usernm at rmthost's password:

After I enter my password, nothing seems to happen. But if I hit
ctrl-c then I get a command line prompt, and it turns out that it's a
shell prompt on the remote host. I can issue standard unix commands,
and they execute on the remote host. To get back into R on my local
host I type 'exit'.

Or:

Here's a couple of lines from one of my scripts that might help ...

     cmd <- 'ssh -l username remotehost /bin/lpstat -a'
     lprs <- read.table(pipe(cmd),fill=TRUE,as.is=TRUE)[,1]

I get prompted for my password when I source these lines on my local host.

With the result that the lprs object has the names of printers
available on the remote host.

-Don