[R] use read.table for a partial reading

Robert Baer rbaer at atsu.edu
Sat Apr 10 18:07:20 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Covelli Paolo" <pcovelli at tele2.it>
To: <r-help at r-project.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:05 AM
Subject: [R] use read.table for a partial reading

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got a matrix data with 20 variables (V1, V2, V3, ...) and 215  rows
> (observations). I'm interested to read only the first and second
> variables using "read.table" function. How can I do?

You do not provide a reproducible example (see
http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html), so my comments are somewhat of
a guess.

Typically, when you read in data from a file in R, you read it into a 'data
frame' not a matrix.
(To earn more
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html#Lists-and-data-frames)

This is how you would get your data (the dataframe) in the form you desire:
dat <- read.table("mydata.txt", header = TRUE)
dat2 <- dat[,1:2]  # contains just the first two variables, V1 and V2