[R] can not execute two functions - env() and profile()

Mao Jianfeng jianfeng.mao at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 08:00:37 CEST 2010

Dear R-helpers

I want to express my respect and thankfulness to all of you.

When I tried to follow a draft book on lme4 authored by Prof. Doug.
Bates (http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/book/) to learn how to fit
mixed-effects model, I found I can not execute two functions which
listed in the book chapters.

For example, in the Chapter 1 of that book there are two lines of R
code, which are:

env(fm1ML)$Lambda # page 14

pr1 <- profile(fm1ML) # page 16

I got

"there is no "env" function in R" and

"error: UseMethod("profile") : "profile" can not find the available
methods for the object "mer""
I need to know how can I execute these functions properly in my PC.
Thanks for your helps and advice in advance.

Following is my system info.
> R.version
               _
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          10.1
year           2009
month          12
day            14
svn rev        50720
language       R
version.string R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)

Jian-Feng, Mao
the Institute of Botany, CAS
Beijing, China