[R] N'th of month working day problem

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 14:09:42 CEST 2010

I assume what you want is not the last data value in each month
labelled with the nth day of the month (or the last day of the month
if there are fewer than n days) but the last day in the data that is
on or prior to the nth of the month.  If that is what you want then
try this.

nth.of.month <- function(x, n = 31) {
	tt <- as.Date(time(x))
	ix <- as.numeric(format(tt, "%d")) <= n
	last.ix <- c(tapply(seq_along(ix), as.yearmon(tt), tail, 1))
	if (length(dim(x)) == 2) x[last.ix,] else x[last.ix]
}
out <- nth.of.month(DJd)

After converting to Date class ix is set to the be the logical vector
which is TRUE on or before the nth of the month and FALSE otherwise.
tapply is used to pick off the index of the last of these in each
month giving last.ix.  This is then used to subscript x.

Note that if there are no data points in a month on or prior to day n
of the month then no data for that month will appear.