[R] Help required with png graphic production as text has shadows?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Apr 13 15:59:26 CEST 2010

Are you resizing the graphs at all?  This can cause the shadows/blur, it is best to create the graphs at the exact size that you will end up using them so that there is no resizing (though I would not trust word to not resize even if you tell it not to).  You may also want to try producing wmf files as they are vector based, but can be included in word and other ms products (but could suffer the same size issues as pdf).

When pdf files are much larger than png files, it is usually because you are plotting many points and there is much overplotting, if that is the case, then you may want to try some different types of plots, for example, boxplots, hexbin plots, sunflower plots, or others.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center