[R] Problem with recode -Error in parse(text = range[[1]][1]) : unexpected end of input in " c(0"

Simon Kiss sjkiss at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 09:56:13 CEST 2010

Dear colleagues,
in the help archive there was a previous person who encountered a
problem with the "recode" command in the car library. I'm not sure if
that was solved, there was no posting to that effect, but I'm having
the same problem.

I'm trying to recode a numeric variable with values from 0-100 into a
binary variable with values (0,1).

The following command:

recode(green_2004_2$french, "c(50:100)=0; c(0:49.99)=1")

gets the following error message

Error in parse(text = range[[1]][1]) : unexpected end of input in " c(0"

I tried it with a second numerical variable in the same data set, but
get precisely the same error at precisely the same location in the
command, i.e. the second colon.
As far as I can tell I have the most up-to-date version of car
installed.
Any suggestions?
Yours, Simon Kiss

Simon J. Kiss, PhD
SSHRC and DAAD Post-Doctoral Fellow
John F. Kennedy Institute of North America Studies
Free University of Berlin
Lansstraße 7-9
14195 Berlin, Germany
Cell: +49 (0)1525-300-2812,