[R] R package documentation

Tobias Verbeke tobias.verbeke at openanalytics.eu
Wed Apr 14 12:52:52 CEST 2010

Hi Sébastien,

Sébastien Bihorel wrote:

> I am currently writing the documentation for my first package. I have
> created a short user manual using sweave/pdflatex which is distinct from the
> manual/summary-of-package-functions created by R CMD CHECK. I was wondering
> how could I seamlessly combine both documents.

It is common to have
- technical documentation in your .Rd files (in the man/ directory
     of your package)
- functional documentation as a so-called vignette (Sweave file
     documenting concrete use of your package) in the
     inst/doc directory of your package.

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Writing-package-vignettes

Combining both documents into one file is not common.

I hope this helps,
Tobias