[R] Roxygen - basic usage uncertain

David Esp davidgaryesp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 17:17:07 CEST 2010

I am trying to make a package consisting of a single function with
auto-documentation assistance from 'roxygen' but am uncertain of the correct
procedure.  My version of 'R' is 2.10.1.

I followed the following steps:
1) Get an existing function (un-commented) as an '.R' file.
2) Add formal comments (e.g. owner) above that function's code using the [#'
@] syntax.
3) Create a further '.R' file to contain formal comments relating to the
package as a whole.  This file contains no meaningful 'R' code but must at
least have an NA at the end to ensure it gets parsed.
4) Use 'package.skeleton' to turn these two files into a basic package
(folder structure etc.)
5) The '.Rd' files so-produced to have empty titles.  Empty titles would
give rise to error message when installing.  However 'roxygenize' (next
step) will replace these '.Rd' files with its own generated ones having
non-empty titles.  To avoid clutter and confusion (e.g. if package name not
identical in formal comments), the existing '.Rd' files are best deleted.
6) From 'R', apply 'roxygenize' to the basic package.  Must make the target
directory the same as the source directory otherwise no '.R' files will be
present (that's what I observe - does it indicate some problem with my
procedure or is that to be expected?).  So make a safe copy of the source
directory first.
7) R CMD check mypackage
8) R CMD INSTALL mypackage

Is that a reasonable process?  Please, I'm really needing baby-steps here.