[R] sequence clustering and assembly

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Apr 15 14:33:11 CEST 2010

Hi Bogdan --

On 04/14/2010 08:19 PM, Bogdan Tanasa wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> please could you suggest any R functions or packages (or external
> programs), that
likely you'll have more luck on the Bioconductor mailing list,

http://bioconductor.org/docs/mailList.html

but...

> a. take as input a large number (> 10 000) of short 20-30 nt
> sequences, and do sequence assembly, to reconstruct larger (extended)
> 30-50 sequences ?

I don't know of any sequence assemblers in R; velvet would be a first
stop third party tool but it sounds like you have some fairly specific
requirements....

> b. take as input a larger number of sequences (100 000 - 1 mil) and
> cluster these sequences in distinct classes based on the sequence
> similarity  ?

The Biostrings package has various functions to calculate edit distance,
which might form the input to familiar R clustering algorithms. See
installation instructions at

http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/Biostrings.html

This thread

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2010-March/032580.html