[R] Selecting derivative order penalty for thin plate spline regression (GAM - mgcv)

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Thu Apr 15 16:53:27 CEST 2010

Christos,

I would base choise of `m' on the AIC or GCV scores, (or on the REML or
Marginal likelihood scores, if these have been used for smoothness
selection). I don't think the m=2 basis will be strictly nested within the
m=3 basis will it? So that rules out you option a. Option b is poor since the
smoothing parameters really have a different meaning in the two cases.

Choosing `m' according to the same criterion you used for smoothness selection
seems like the most self consistent approach.

best,
Simon