[R] Does "sink" stand for anything?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Apr 15 23:24:17 CEST 2010

On Apr 15, 2010, at 5:12 PM, Paul Miller wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Learning about R and its wonderful array of functions. If it's not
> obvious, I usually try to find out what a function stands for. I
> think this helps me remember better.
>
> One function that has me stumped is "sink." Can anyone tell me if
> this stands for something?

In the kitchen, a sink is the place you put the dishes in. In
electronics, a sink is where the electrons go after they have made
their way through the circuitry  ... also known as a "ground", whereas
"sources" are the current inputs. There were a lot of EE types among
the original cadre of computer scientitsts. In the NIXen class of
OSes, there is a "pipe" operation, and I believe that the destination
file or device is probably called a "sink" by some. This leads me to
think that a hybrid argot of plumbing and circuitry analogies is the
likely origin of the term.

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

David Winsemius, MD