[R] Fwd: Counting number of values by row (text, not numbers)

Laura Ferrero-Miliani laurafe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 13:18:06 CEST 2010

Hi everyone!
I am very new to R and I am having some difficulties.
My data set looks something like this:

subject                A                B                C
   D               E
       1                  cat             monkey       cat
dog            cat
       2                  cat             cat               cat
     cat             dog

I want to create three new variables, that count the amount of "cat",
"monkey" and "dog" per subject

subject                A                B                C
   D               E            cat             dog             monkey
       1                  cat             monkey       cat
dog            cat          3               1                 1
       2                  cat             cat               cat
     cat             dog        4                1                 0

I have been looking at rowSums, rowsum, apply, grep, and doing some
searches, but I can only find count for numerical values or NA values.

Thanks in advance,