[R] GSL in C code for R

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 16 22:18:06 CEST 2010

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, J. Sebastian Tello wrote:

> Dear fellow R users,
>
> I am now investing time in learning how to use compiled C code to
> produces functions that can be used in R. I am just starting, and there
> is much that I need to learn, so I have a question that might be
> straight forward. I am learning how to use function in the C library GSL
> (gnu scientific library), to write C code, that I then plant to use in
> R. Is there any problem in doing this? I mean, using functions of GSL to
> write C funtions to then use them in R? I just want to make sure that
> this approach is correct, before I invest more time trying to figure out
> how to include GSL functions into my C functions. Any commentaries,
> insights or advice will be highly appreciated.

per the posting guide ("Do Your Homework" section), you should do this:

 	RSiteSearch("GSL")

If you are considering doing something that might be submitted to
BioConductor, you should read up on what they require:

 	http://wiki.fhcrc.org/bioc/Package_Guidelines

IIRC, they tend to discourage the use of external libraries.

The R API is rich with functions that provide a lot of what GSL has, so
you might want to study that before committing to GSL.

HTH,

Chuck

> Sebastian
>
> J. Sebastián Tello