[R] read.table behavior for Dates.

Jeroen Ooms jeroenooms at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 22:42:47 CEST 2010

Ah Phil Spector is right, nothing is converted. I'm almost too embarrassed to
admit it, but actually, it was Excel that tricked me. It displays date
fields differently than they are stored in the csv file, and once you press
'save', it saves everything to a different format, completely unasked.

Nevertheless I got some valuable insight in the topic. What I'm trying to do
here is make it easier for people to upload files that might contain dates
to my webapp at yeroon.net/ggplot2. Currently, dates are imported as
factors. I would like to implement something that Henrique described, to
automatically convert variables to Date that are obviously dates.