[R] Is it ok to apply the z.test this way?

Atte Tenkanen attenka at utu.fi
Sat Apr 17 09:32:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

I thank you all who answered to my question. I think I learned a lot although there still remain things and concepts I have to ruminate. To the questions about the plots:

In this case, I have segmented music into so-called pitch-class sets and further transformed them to 'set classes', equivalence classes, a concept which comes from the musical set theory. These classes have been compared to some comparison set class using a similarity function. Let's think that this csc is the diatonic scale (similar to white keys in the piano), if there is a diatonic segment in the piece under study, this segment gets the value of 1. Those segments which are very different in their nature (according to the similarity function) get values nearer to 0.

I can detect rhythms, tonalities  etc, and their combinations as well. I call this method Comparison Structure Analysis or C. Set A.

I have used R for many years as a programming environment in my research but not its statistical capabilies. Henceforth, I have to focus more on statistics.

Atte