[R] Problem installing RODBC

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 20 03:33:18 CEST 2010

Marc Schwartz wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2010, at 7:02 PM, David Scott wrote:
>
>> I have a problem with some missing headers when trying to install RODBC on my linux box.
>>
>>> install.packages("RODBC",
>> +                   lib="/usr/local/david/R")
>> trying URL 'http://cran.stat.auckland.ac.nz/src/contrib/RODBC_1.3-1.tar.gz'
>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 990220 bytes (967 Kb)
>> opened URL
>> downloaded 967 Kb
>>

>> Read .Rprofile
>> * installing *source* package ‘RODBC’ ...
>> checking for gcc... gcc -m32 -std=gnu99
>> checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
>> checking whether the C compiler works... yes
>> checking whether we are cross compiling... no
>> checking for suffix of executables...
>> checking for suffix of object files... o
>> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
>> checking whether gcc -m32 -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
>> checking for gcc -m32 -std=gnu99 option to accept ANSI C... none needed
>> checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -m32 -std=gnu99 -E
>> checking for egrep... grep -E
>> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
>> checking for sys/types.h... yes
>> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
>> checking for stdlib.h... yes
>> checking for string.h... yes
>> checking for memory.h... yes
>> checking for strings.h... yes
>> checking for inttypes.h... yes
>> checking for stdint.h... yes
>> checking for unistd.h... yes
>> checking sql.h usability... no
>> checking sql.h presence... no
>> checking for sql.h... no
>> checking sqlext.h usability... no
>> checking sqlext.h presence... no
>> checking for sqlext.h... no
>> configure: error: "ODBC headers sql.h and sqlext.h not found"
>> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RODBC’
>> * removing ‘/usr/local/david/R/RODBC’
>>

>> Details of my setup are:
>>
>>> R.version
>>               _
>> platform       i386-redhat-linux-gnu
>> arch           i386
>> os             linux-gnu
>> system         i386, linux-gnu
>> status
>> major          2
>> minor          10.0
>> year           2009
>> month          10
>> day            26
>> svn rev        50208
>> language       R
>> version.string R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
>>
>> I have the following mysql setup
>>
>> mysql> status;
>> --------------
>> mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.88, for redhat-linux-gnu (i386) using readline 5.1
>>
>> Connection id:		9
>> Current database:
>> Current user:		root at localhost
>> SSL:			Not in use
>> Current pager:		stdout
>> Using outfile:		''
>> Using delimiter:	;
>> Server version:		5.0.88 Source distribution
>> Protocol version:	10
> [...]

Thanks Marc, super helpful and quick as well. Worked a treat.

David

David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics