[R] How to embed italic Greek letters in a eps file?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 20 07:30:20 CEST 2010

This is discussed in detail on the help page for postcript!  Default
PostScript with the 14 standard fonts does not cover Greek at all (but
it does cover mathematical symbols such as mu, in a different
typeface).

See the section 'Encodings': to display Greek you need to have an
encoding which supports Greek.  You did not give us the 'at a minimum'
information requested in the posting guide so we don't know your
locale, but at a guess you got ISOLatin1, which does not support
Greek.

So try encoding="Greek" and family="URWHelvetica", and make sure that
your viewer is able to support the font.