[R] Weights in binomial glm

Jan van der Laan djvanderlaan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 18:02:18 CEST 2010

Thomas, Thierry,

Thank your for your answers and my appogies for my late reply. Thomas,
from your reply it seems that dividing the weights by their average
would also make finding a suitable starting value more robust. This
indeed seems to be case from test I've ran.

However, your comments about me misusing glm() make me wonder at how
the weights are used in glm(). I was under the impression that weights
in glm are usually replicae/frequency weights. When I look at how
weights are usually taken into account in the likelihood, namely

L = Product_i L_i^w_i

each record i contributes w_i times a factor L_i to the total
likelihood, which  is the same as saying that record i represents w_i
observations. This is exactly what I want to express with my weights.
Writing out the likelihood for binomial regression also shows that in
that case it is possible to have Y's that are not only 0 or 1, but can
also have values between 0 and 1 as in R. However, looking at this I
do not see any problems with large weights and Y's equal to 0 or one.

Is it just the fact that R has problems generating the starting values
when the Y's are all between 0 and 1, or are there also some other
reasons for this?

Regards,
Jan