[R] overlaying a levelplot on a map plot

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Apr 22 20:38:49 CEST 2010

On Apr 22, 2010, at 2:24 PM, Kevin Wright wrote:

> Mixing base/lattice graphics can be tricky, but is possible.
>
> http://www.bioconductor.org/CRAN/web/packages/gridBase/vignettes/gridBase.pdf

That could be quite useful in the future. Thanks for that.

> Also, did you look at Chapter 13 of the lattice book?
> http://lmdvr.r-forge.r-project.org/figures/figures.html

I did look at the actual book, and upon doing so yet again, I would
say that my comments were an accurate, if pithy, summary of the
message I take away from what very little regarding base graphics
appears in that chapter.

--
David.

> Kevin
>
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net
> > wrote:
>
> On Apr 21, 2010, at 2:27 PM, Simon Goodman wrote:
>
>>> I've generated a levelplot showing the density distribution of a
>>> species
>>> derived from survey transects, with lon, lat co-ordinates.
>>>
>>> I'd like to overlay this on a map of the study region specified by:
>>>
>>> map('worldHires', xlim = range(mlon), ylim = range(mlat)), where
>>> mlon, mlat
>>> specifies the study region.

>>> No documentation for 'map' in specified packages and libraries:
>>> you could try '??map'
>>
>> So map uses base graphics.
>

>>> I've tried plotting the map first, then using the options:
>>> 'add=TRUE,
>>> axes=FALSE' in the levelplot,
>>

>> levelplot is a lattice function. You will have failure with most
>> efforts to mix base and grid graphics.
>
>>> but this doesn't work - a new plot is
>>> generated for the level plot despite the 'add' option. If I try to
>>> add the
>>> map on top of the level plot, they are not to the same scale.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on how to get round this.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
> --

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT