[R] packages gdata / gtools - installation in R 2.11.0

Paulo Barata pbarata at infolink.com.br
Thu Apr 22 16:32:32 CEST 2010

Dear R-list members,

I have just downloaded R version 2.11.0. Then I installed
package gdata. At the end of the installation, a warning message
said that package gtools could not be found. Package gdata
was, after the installation, included in the "Package Index"
in the help files. Messages during installation (which was made
through the menu Packages / Instal package(s), choosing the Austria
site, R running on Windows XP):

utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
Warning: dependency ‘gtools’ is not available
trying URL 'http://cran.at.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib
/2.11/gdata_2.7.1.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 830646 bytes (811 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 811 Kb
package 'gdata' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

When I tried to use (in R 2.11.0) package gdata and its function
write.fwf, I got the messages below:

library(gdata)
Error in loadNamespace(i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths())) :
   there is no package called 'gtools'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'gdata'
write.fwf(x,'test-01.txt')
Error: could not find function "write.fwf"
(** Note: x is a data frame **)

Package gdata is correctly installed in my R 2.10.1, and both
packages gdata and gtools appear in the list of available packages
when I try to install some package in R 2.10.1 through the menu
Packages / Instal package(s), choosing the Austria site.

But when I try to install some package in R 2.11.0 through the
menu, only package gdata appears in the list of available packages
- package gtools does not appear in that list.

Both packages are listed on the CRAN (Austria) package Web page.

It seems that R 2.11.0 is somehow not "seeing" the package gtools.
Is there any way around this situation? How to correctly install
package gdata (which depends on gtools) in R 2.11.0?

Both R 2.10.1 and R 2.11.0 are running on Windows XP, in the same
computer.

Thank you very much.

Paulo Barata

Paulo Barata
Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz - Oswaldo Cruz Foundation
Rua Leopoldo Bulhoes 1480 - 8A
21041-210  Rio de Janeiro - RJ
Brazil

E-mail: pbarata at infolink.com.br