[R] uninstalling and installing on linux

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Fri Apr 23 19:37:56 CEST 2010

On 23.04.2010 19:02, Juliet Hannah wrote:

>>> This has not worked for me, meaning I can still use R, so instead I
>>> removed the directory
>>>
>>> rm -fR R-2.10.1
>>>
>>> Is one method preferable to another. And what am I doing incorrectly
>>> with "make uninstall"?
>>
>> Don't know, probably not many are using it and it may be fairly untested.
>>

> If not many are using it, is "make uninstall" not the conventional way
> to uninstall? What is
> the most commonly used way? I was trying to follow  the R installation
> manual, but
> maybe I haven't read enough. Thanks.

You are right, it should work that way given you have not specified any
prefixes on installation and you have full permissions to remove the
stuff again.

We are using it within an auomounter like repository to have several
versions accessible, hence we are not often uninstalling R here. Maybe
other do it more frequently.

For development purposes, I tend to quickly clean up using rm -rf
although this may be not the recommended approach.

Uwe