[R] "Error: testing 'stats' failed" - R 2.9.2 on Linux

sal stivc at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 24 20:39:24 CEST 2010

Identical Problem on Identical Platform.  Only difference is R-2.11.0.  The
trailing content of stats-Ex.Rout.fail is:

-----
> trees <- window(treering, start=0)
> (fit <- StructTS(trees, type = "level"))

Call:
StructTS(x = trees, type = "level")

Variances:
    level    epsilon
0.0003700  0.0719877
> plot(trees)
> lines(fitted(fit), col = "green")
> tsdiag(fit)
>
> (fit <- StructTS(log10(UKgas), type = "BSM"))
Error in optim(init[mask], getLike, method = "L-BFGS-B", lower = rep(0,  :
  non-finite value supplied by optim
Calls: StructTS -> optim
Execution halted
-----

Judging by the lack of response to the previous query, and similarity of
platforms, I am guessing the answer has to do with some particularity of
slackware-13.0.  Such as a particular library version.  But which one?  As
they say 'bump'.  Thanks.