[R] Intersection for two curves

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Sun Apr 25 17:33:17 CEST 2010

<quote>
 >  Many people seem to be reluctant to define functions,
 > even thought I think it is a pretty small step from
 > writing scripts to writing functions.

I'm not so sure - I find most students struggle to grasp that next level
of abstraction. Generalising from a specific task to a general function
is a big step. Most R users aren't programmers and many have never had
any formal training - I think writing functions well is hard to pick up
on your own.

Hadley

</quote>

With all due respect, I fail to see how *anyone* can use R without some
basic understanding of programming. Same goes for Mathematica and
Matlab, just in case anyone thought I was app-biased :-) .

 From what I see both at work (hi-tech optics company) and everything my
kids are doing in college and grad school,  it's simply unthinkable that
someone in any branch of science or math (or finance, business, etc. for
that matter) can operate in a modern environment without knowing some
basic principles of programming.

Carl