[R] Upgrading R using the "global library folder" strategy - what do you think about it?

Mike Prager mhprager.pdy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 20:55:31 CEST 2010

I think it makes more sense for most users to have a global library
(as you call it), rather than put the library under the current
installation.  I have been doing that for years, and it saves a lot of
trouble.

When I have helped people learn R, the need to copy the library when
updating is a regular source of confusion and questions. Many users
are not particularly computer-savvy.

Given that, it would seem desirable for the R installation to default
to a global library location.