[R] Cairo package failure to load backend

Daniel Alcock da2 at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Apr 27 16:47:58 CEST 2010

Hi R friends,

I've been attempting to create plots with multiple alpha values using
Cairo to save them on a windows (32b XP) platform as it doesn't support
more than 3 alpha values. This worked well until I wanted a postscript
file (unsupported) and as a attempted work around I installed RGtk2. So
far so good, however now when I try to use a

>CairoPDF("alpha.pdf", 6, 6, bg="transparent")
Or any
>Cairo(....)
Or
>CairoXXX(...)

Command I get (variations of):

>Error in Cairo(width, height, file, "pdf", pointsize = pointsize, bg =
bg,  :
  Failed to create Cairo backend!

Can someone suggest a reason/solution please

Cheers

Dan

Daniel Alcock
Malaria Genetics (T112)
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
Cambridge
CB10 1SA
UK
+44 (0)1223 834244 ext. 4994
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not Eureka! But rather, "hmm.... that's funny...." --
Isaac Asimov