[R] R for Ubuntu 10.04?

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Apr 27 18:20:38 CEST 2010

Tengfei Yin wrote:
> Hi dear all
>
> I am currently using Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) and R 2.10, I can find a R release
> that support "karmic" in cran under ubuntu directory, I plan to update my
> laptop to Ubuntu 10.04 after April 30, since I have to use some new features
> or new version in it, e.g. QT 4.6,  I don't know if there is going to be a R
> release that will support this newly released Ubuntu?
>
> Thanks
>
> Best wishes
>
> Tengfei

a) Applications don't "support" distros... it is the other way around. A
distro may introduce improvements, but it is generally considered a bug
for POSIX-compliant distros to upgrade in a manner that leaves existing
application software unable to run (though it may in some cases need to
be recompiled).

b) Since the quality of support depends on users like you trying it out
and reporting bugs and/or patches, your best bet is to try it and report
any problems you encounter. (I often upgrade by loading the new OS into
a separate partition... but that is more as assurance that the OS itself
will be stable, rather than due to concern about existing applications.)

c) This mailing list topic is on using the R software. The correct forum
for helping (or observing progress of others) with Debian packages of R
(used on Ubuntu distro) is