[R] Merging files

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Tue Apr 27 23:51:33 CEST 2010

Alex Jameson wrote:

> David,
>
> merg12
>
> displays the files
> with this message at the bottom
>
> [reached getOption("max.print") -- omitted 321526 rows]]
>
> str(merg12) displays the following message
>
> 'data.frame' : 329218 obs. of 13 variables
>
> $ patientid:
> $ Name:
> $ Age:
>
> but no file is created in the folder mydata
>
> i would expect a file to be created, which is not happening
>
> Thank you
>
> Alex

Why would you expect a file to be created?  The help page for merge contains
no mention of output to files as part of the function's execution.
Generally, if the effect you are thinking of is not described in the help
page for a function, then that function does not cause the effect.  If a
function does cause an effect that is not described in the help page, then
the author of the help page did a poor job writing it.

Since you mentioned that you are new to R, I would recommend spending some
time studying the manuals.  First, the "Introduction to R" which gives a
good overview of the R language and describes the various objects you are
trying to work with- specifically data.frame objects.  A copy was probably
included with your installation of R and you can access it online at:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html

Second, you may want to look at the "R Data Import/Export" manual- this will
help clarify how R interacts with files and the functions you need to
execute to do so.  A copy can be found online at:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-data.html

Hope this helps!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University