[R] R with command line

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 02:04:38 CEST 2010

On 27/04/2010 6:15 PM, Duke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am testing R by trying R on command line (ie without opening R
> console) on a Mac Pro with 10.6. So I created a file plot.R:
>
> x11(width=5,height=3.5)
> plot(1:10,1:10)
>
> So I have two questions below (please forgive me if the questions have
> been asked already)
>
> 1. What is the different between *R CMD BATCH infile.R* and *R --vanilla
> --slave < infile.R*?

Those are quite similar.  A couple of differences are:

 --vanilla changes the startup options.  You'll use fewer of the profile
etc. files.  See ?Startup for the details.

  R CMD BATCH sets up an output file to collect the output.  It would
likely be called infile.Rout.  It would also have a proc.time() call
added at the end.

> 2. When I ran plot.R with one of the above methods, the plot showed up
> for like a second and disappear. What should I do to keep the plot there
> until the user closes it?

If you have a user involved, you should be running interactively, not in
batch mode. You can automatically run your infile.R ahead of starting
the session by setting an environment variable named R_PROFILE_USER
pointing to that file; e.g.

R R_PROFILE_USER=infile.R

(which sets the variable temporarily, only for that session).